Apple Picking in Autumnal Ontario

Sunday, October 04, 2015

Yesterday, I gathered my sister MC and our dad and we went apple picking. It was a grey day on Saturday but the alternative was today, which calls for rain, so we bundled up against the wind and got on with it. After all, apple picking is just one of those things that you have to do in fall or the season is not complete.

Our destination was a pick-your-own farm called Gallacher's Orchard, located in Nottawa, Ontario. They offer apple picking, as well as pears and plums. Their prices are good, the apples and plentiful, and the staff are friendly. 


They label their rows of trees so you can choose with type you'd like. We stuck to Spartan and Ida Red, mainly because they're firm apples that both keep and cook up well. I prefer McIntosh because I like soft apples - I find they're juicier and more flavourful. According to the Ontario Apple Growers, the McIntosh "discovered in 1800 as a chance seedling by John McIntosh of Dundela, Ontario." Makes me feel oddly proud to have a Canadian (and Ontarian, at that) apple as my favourite.


After the orchard, we went on to Meaford, Ontario in search of some fresh-pressed apple cider but instead we ran into the Meaford Scarecrown Invasion instead. There some cute poems written by local children placed in the garden around the Town Hall, as well as cornstalks tied everywhere around the town. The highlight though, of course, were the scarecrows. 


They were tied to buildings, on benches and hanging from the lampposts. They'll be up until mid-October, so if you get a chance to check them out, you should. 


Also along the way we ran into Almond's Farm Market, where I found maple sugar candy (my favourite!) and candy apples. Of course I had to get one of each. The candy apple is still in the cupboard but the maple sugar leaf didn't make it out of the parking lot. 


Which do you prefer: candy apple or caramel apple? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top