Current Thoughts: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

Sunday, May 18, 2014


The book I've currently got on the go is Rachel Joyce's "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry." I choose this book because I loved the cover, and also because I heard one of my favourite YouTubers, Hanna Twigg of the channel booksbeforelooks, recommend it. I am currently on page 177. 

This isn't a book I'll read just anywhere, although that's not because I'm ashamed of it or anything. I think we've all got those guilty pleasure reads that we don't want anyone to know we indulge in. This book, however, I want to read on lazy weekend mornings when I don't feel rushed. Where I can make a cup of green tea, stretch out on the couch or deck chairs, and just enjoy myself. I want my focus to be on the content, and not on how long it is until we arrive at my stop, or until my lunch break is over. I like reading about the English countryside while looking out at my garden. As such, I haven't been reading it much at all during the week. 

I can already tell this is a book that will be hard to leave behind. Joyce has a great ability to flesh out characters, even side characters that we only meet for a few pages. I really liked Martina and felt sad when Harold left her to continue his walk. Rex is growing on me too, especially with how he supported Maureen when she told him the truth about where Harold was. That present he made Maureen was also so sweet. The pushpins on the drawing of the map of England from the beginning of the book also make more sense now. 

My favourite quote thus far: 

"Beginnings could happen more than once, or in different ways" (page 156). 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top