Book Treats - Afghan Butter Cookies and "The Dressmaker of Khair Khana"

Monday, February 17, 2014



One of the fondest memories I have from my Quebec literature course is the time that the professor brought us blueberry muffins. Not just because she wanted to, but because blueberries played a role in one of the chapters of the novel we were reading at the time. Now, I can't remember what book we were reading, but I do remember the muffins. 
While reading "The Dressmaker of Khair Khana", I wanted to engage with the text in a similar way. I am not confident enough in my sewing skills to attempt to sew a dress, but baking is something I can handle. (Plus, I just wanted to eat something sweet.) So I took a peek at what sorts of traditional receipes from Afghanistan I could find. One of the easier ones was for butter cookies (called "kolcha"). 
Now, most of these recipes called for rice flour or corn oil, so I substituted those. I also played around with the ingredient ratios, and ended up with my own recipe. So these Afghan butter cookies may not be authentic, but the spirit of the cookie is there. They are fragrant and sweet without being overpowering. 


I posted this as a DIY baking tutorial on my YouTube channel, which you can check out HERE. If you happen to try these out, please send me a photo so I can see the end result! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top