New Year's Resolutions 2014

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

I love the new year for the same reason many others do: the fresh start it affords. I spent most of today working out what my resolutions for 2014 should be. This is what I have come up with: 


I am going to take part in Project 365, taking a photo every day of something I did, someone I met with, something that made me smile, etc. I hope to post them on instagram and/or this blog. 


This is the goal that I settled on for my Goodreads 2014 Reading Challenge. I've already chosen four of those books, which are on my January TBR list. 


I have a bad habit of starting projects and not finishing them, especially craft projects. I hope to change that this year. 

4. Knit a hat. 
I have a pattern and the needles. I just need the patience and persistence. 


I can do a very simple granny square, but only just. I received this book last year, and I really want to be able to make some of these. What's more, I have a colleague who wants to crochet granny squares as well, and is hoping for my help. Can't help with what I haven't yet learned. 

6. Meditate regularly. 
I have several meditation apps (Headspace and Omvana), and the health benefits of meditation have been well documented. This one just makes sense. 

7. Drink more tea and water. 
This one is pretty self-explanatory. Also, both myself and the family received lots of tea for Christmas. 

8. Walk at least 10 000 steps per day. 
This will be a lot easier to track once I get my Nike Fuelband back in action (the button is broken, so I'm sending it in for repairs). By swapping out the last leg of my work commute from bus to walking, I should be able to meet this goal regularly. 

9. Exercise more. 
I downloaded two exercise apps, All-in Yoga and Fit Woman, which so far look really easy to use. 

10. Do more outdoor activities. 
This is another way I can encourage myself to get more exercise. I really want to try snowshoeing and geocaching. 

11. Learn a song on the piano. 
I have several instruments laying around, but I am not very good at playing any of them. As a way to get myself back interested, I thought I'd get myself focused on learning just one song at a time. I have been perusing the OnlinePianist website and YouTube channel for inspiration. 

12. Learn a song on the guitar. 
Same idea as above, different instrument.  


And again, another instrument. 

14. Try new things. Be adventurous. Don't be afraid to fail. 
This is more of a guideline than a specific resolution. I hope it'll bring some adventure and interest to my life on a day-to-day basis, which can otherwise fall into a rut of regularity. 

That's 14 resolutions for 2014. Some may seem very easy, others require more time and effort. Regardless, I aim to stick to these and hopefully succeed! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top